Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Peacekeeper or Peacemaker?


My middle school daughter comes home from school and often shares about her friends, teachers and sports.  So, in the course of our conversation last night about a conflict with a family member I announce that our goal should just be to keep the peace at all cost. My daughter interrupts with this dialogue:  "You know mom, my teacher says it's better to be a peacemaker than a peacekeeper."  Me: "And, what exactly is the difference?"  Daughter: "Well, a peacekeeper avoids conflict at all cost...even takes the blame if necessary.  A peacemaker looks for a solution to resolve the conflict.  I think you are a peacekeeper, mom, and you need to be a peacemaker."  Then she gave me several examples to think on.  Ok, then....now how about that for some constructive criticism!  So glad my daughter is learning in school, but does she really need to apply it to me? (Haha)  I had to agree....I tend to keep peace rather than to make peace. Since everyone was a part of the conversation, we brainstormed some ways to be peacemakers with their father, with each other and with friends.  What a cool teachable moment for mom. Thank you to Mr. Mull, the girls' Bible teacher, for his excellent examples and fun way of teaching values to take home!

Being a peacekeeper is a temporary fix.  Once the lid is removed all hell breaks loose again. If you follow politics you can see some patterns of peacekeeping versus peacemaking with how our troops are directed in other countries.  Once the "peacekeeping" boundaries are crossed...people die....We have had presidents who are really good at peacekeeping and only a few who grasped the idea of peacemaking.  Peacemaking is confrontational and therefore many do not like the concept.  I admit that I would much rather go around loving everyone and telling them how much God loves them rather then, to confront others with areas of their life that need God's healing touch.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think a peacemaker is judgmental.  I think they are willing to say the "hard stuff"...the things people need to hear but don't want to hear....the real truth of the matter...no sugar coating.  Matthew 5:9 says, "Blessed are the  peacemakers for they shall be called the sons of God." It's what we are called to do. True peace stops fighting and replaces it with harmony.  It just doesn't avoid conflict for a temporary time. Being a peacemaker should not be confused for living a life of peace. Finding a life of peace is a struggle for all of us...That's the idea that even in the midst of conflict my soul is at rest.  But, as far as being a peacemaker goes...I know I am guilty of my efforts to "keep the peace" , but thanks to a great teacher and loving daughter...I'm going to concentrate my efforts from now on to "making peace"....even if it means facing conflict head on!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent topic! I've seen examples of forced reconciliation that has backfired when the two parties were not ready to make peace. Then we have three or more frustrated parties. Sometimes it's best to just be supportive and allow God and time to bring people together. It's very difficult to engineer a reality for anyone except ourselves, in spite of our good intentions.

    ReplyDelete