Monday, January 30, 2012

Devastation




Can you remember a time in your life where you experienced “shock?”  You stood completely still unable to breathe or move for what seemed like years, and you’re not exactly sure what just happened.  I clearly remember like it was yesterday...standing in my kitchen and receiving a phone call from my mother to turn on the news. I was preparing a snack for my toddler and a little annoyed by my mothers’ constant concern for the matters of the world that didn’t seem to relate to me, but I flipped on the television. Within seconds, I stood mesmerized as I watched the devastating events of September 11th 2001 unfold before my eyes. I couldn’t cry, scream or even speak. I just held my breath, many times, as the reporters continued to relay the footage over and over again of the twin towers collapsing in New York City.  This was real.  It was not a joke, and nationwide devastation was the end result. 

I was separated from my husband at the time and my firstborn daughter was at preschool. For a brief moment I became frantic and wanted to immediately be reunited with my daughter and hold my babies close.  My husband called from work to see if I had been watching the news and to check on me. Many others did the same all over America because when devastation hits...time stands still, and only love is on our hearts. No one in the world matters but the people you love the most. I was devastated by what I had witnessed, and being separated from my husband I felt very much alone. 

The aftermath of a divorce can sometimes look like ground 0. There is no recognition of what used to be, and at first you are shocked and hold your breath. Then, you frantically rummage to find remnants to salvage, you scream, cry and begin the process of grieving your loss. Psalm 46:1,2 reminds us that God is our refuge and strength a very present help in time of trouble. We do not have to fear even if the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the sea.   


You may be looking at ground 0 right now not even knowing where to begin or how you will survive. Those who love you and often even strangers around you will begin to help you clean up the mess and rebuild your heart. Talk about the pain as much as you need to, weep as often as it flows from you, allow others to help you, and remember that it won’t last forever. We are promised in Psalm 30:5 that even though weeping may remain for a night, joy comes in the morning. You may not forget the devastation of your marriage, but you will be able to rebuild a beautiful life in its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment