Saturday, December 31, 2011

OMG or "Oh My God"

"Oh my God, I trust in thee, Let me not be ashamed let not mine enemies triumph over me..." This is a phrase to an old song we used to sing in Church when I was growing up. It's a plea to the Heavenly Father in a prayer proclaiming trust and asking for courage. In todays' society OMG is found on glitzy t-shirts for girls, and used in text quite frequently. It rolls off our tongues as an expression of disbelief, excitement, frustration, surprise...really it can mean a myraid of expressions depending on your tone and context. Scripture clearly states in the ten commandments, "Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain." This includes the names Jesus and Christ. I think you will agree that our world has defined plenty of other profane words to use that the names of God could be left off the list! I also think you would agree that most generally people do not intend to curse the name of God, but really use the phrase "oh my God" out of habit and haven't given much thought to it. In our house I'm quick to replace this phrase with, "Oh My Gosh" which some would say is just a euphemism like heck in place of hell or darn in place of damn. But, for my family, it's clearly not the name of God so a satisfactory replacement of the expression.  God is concerned with the intent of your heart not the legalism of law. We are covered under the grace of the blood of Jesus Christ which makes us righteous. So, if you've never thought about it before you probably weren't cursing God's name intentionally. But, the next time you loosely call out His name, especially when you are frustrated, try asking for courage and proclaim your trust in Him.  Be careful not to use the names of God in a profane way!

No comments:

Post a Comment