Monday, March 28, 2011

Paying Forward

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store as is my regular routine on a Sunday evening.  The very first thing I did was pick up some flowers.  This time I chose a beautiful yellow bouquet. I often choose what I would like to have on my kitchen table.  As I shop I  pay attention to those in the store with me and wonder who God is going to have me bless when I get to the check out counter.  However, this week I was shopping with a friend and talking, so I didn't even tune myself into those around me.  By the time I got to the check out line I thought I might actually be taking the flowers home because no one seemed to be in the store.  Just as I paid for my groceries an elderly lady paid for her few items in the line beside me.  I immediately knew she was the one who should be blessed.  She seemed lonely and unhappy... as if she too were going through her regular routine.  Once we both paid our bill, I simply handed her the flowers and told her that I wanted her to blessed.  I would pray for her this week and each time she saw the flowers I wanted her to be reminded of God's love for her.  Her eyes were big and round and her mouth showed no curve until I finished talking.  Then she mustered the biggest smile and said. "thank you; that is so sweet of you."
My intention for sharing this story is not for kudos on my simple giving. After all, we are only talking a few dollars and small act of kindness.  I share this story because I want us all to be reminded that there are so many hurting people around us who need to know the love of Christ.  They have lost their hope, and many of their dreams have been shattered or just seem to far out of reach.  A simple act of kindness lets others know God does love them, and He does care for their every need.  What can you do today to show the love of Christ to others?  When you begin paying forward you will change the world one person at a time and more importantly you will receive blessings you never imagined!

No comments:

Post a Comment