Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Renewed Hope


Can you think back on a time in your life where the world just seemed full of possibilities, and you were hopeful about the future events of your life?  For me this time was during my college days and those leading up to my first job and marriage.  I am sure I struggled with disappointments, rejection, heartache, and challenges, but I don't remember them.  Or, maybe I should say...I don't remember them stopping me from fulling my dreams. My focus was on what was available to me and where I was headed. 

Somehow the years from there to here gradually caused the hope to fade away.  Can you look back and relate?  Maybe, you landed your dream job.  And, one day you found yourself wondering if you would be there the rest of your life...little by little resentment began to set in.  Did you marry your best friend only to find out you really never knew them at all? Or, they fell short of your expectations.... Life continued to happen, and it just seemed you were digging a deeper hole.  At very best...you could get excited about someone else getting married, having a baby or celebrating a huge accomplishment.  But, you have given up the hope and joys of your life continuing in that same manner. 

The noun hope means a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen. When you lose hope there is no longer an expectation for desirable things to happen. On the contrary, you begin to actually believe the opposite. You expect misery and defeat. You assume that life will never be joyful or full of hope again.

How can we change that thought process?  How do we renew our hope?  You know by now...I go to the scripture when I need answers, and one of my favorite verses is Isaiah 40:31..."But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  Simply put...wait on the Lord for his help...put your trust in Him...the promise is you will be renewed. In scripture Hope is a confident expectation...a certainty that God will keep His promise and it's not merely something we "wish" to happen.

Hope does not allow us to escape reality or our problems. I know what your thinking...what does? Nothing does...we must deal with reality no matter how much we avoid it.  Hope changes how we view our circumstances and how we see ourselves in our reality.  Hope shows what we value in life. Hope gets us up every morning and gives us a plan.  It takes the pressure off.  It allows us to know God is in control.  So, if you have lost your hope...take some time to ask God to renew it.  Since I know that what God gives...He gives to all...and since He has renewed my hope...I know He will do it for you too.
 
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:9

There are so many great verses on hope in the Bible. Here are a few to get you started.  As you read, remember, no matter how impossible it looks...when you put your hope in the Lord and wait...yes...patiently...probably the hardest part...He is going to keep His promise. He will renew your joy and restore your strength. You might just feel like a soaring eagle...I don't know about you...but that excites my spirit!

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

"How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the LORD his God; i.e., rather than man." Psalm 146:5

"My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him." Psalm 62:5

No comments:

Post a Comment