Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nervous Anxiety

Do you ever get nervous?  How about anxiety....does it creep up on you at times?  Well, I must say, I struggle with both.  But, I have learned to recognize the signs and quickly implement some strategies to bounce back and retrieve my focus.  As I was on google looking up definitions of anxiety I read in Wikipedia that anxiety is a displeasing feeling of fear or concern.  It is a normal reaction to stress and it can actually help a person deal with a demanding situation by prompting them to deal with it.  Now, that is a positive spin on what I would have called a negative emotion! 

When I am anxious my nervous system goes nuts.  I eat too much or not enough, and I can't focus on my work or personal responsibilities.  I don't know whether I am coming or going, and I seem to talk in circles about my problems.  Can you relate?  I feel all out of wack because I am....I am not living in peace or where God intended for me to be at that moment.  I am allowing a situational problem or person I don't have control over to determine my emotions.  Scripture tells us in I Peter 5:7, "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. We don't have to carry our burdens alone. We can verbally hand them over to the Lord.  The anxiety is there to get your attention...to prompt you to deal with the problem.  What better way to deal with a problem then to get rid of it...give it to God.  Let Him orchestrate the universe...let Him move the mountains...let Him perform the miracles needed to get you the perfect job, to deal with your spouse, to shed light where there is untruthfulness and to "right" the "wrongs" done to you.  I struggle with anxiety just like you do...relationships, "lack of" mentality, parenting decisions, work related stresses....well, just life in general!  In cases related to anxiety disorders individuals can even become sick mentally, physically and spiritually.  Anxiety can immobilize you or propel you forward. 

Watch for signs and learn ways to work through it.  Here are a few things that work for me:  Call a trusted friend...speak honestly about your anxiety and leave it there...build a safe relationship that allows you to vent and move forward. Turn on encouraging and upbeat music. Workout, preferably with a friend.  Eat a healthy meal. Take a break from routine and go somewhere different. Shop within your budget. It may just be to the grocery if you enjoy that.  For me a new pair of shoes works every time.  You know I had to throw that in there!  Go to your favorite coffee shop or bookstore.  And, lastly help someone.  Visit them, volunteer your time for them, or even bless them with a gift. 

The important thing is not what you do but that you recognize your anxiety and find a positive outlet to restore your spirit and be sure to leave your request with God. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Philippians 4:6) As an adult you are already aware that each day will present a new set of problems, so no need to carry yesterday's stresses into today.  Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."


Next time you deal with nervous anxiety look at it as an opportunity to unload that burden and move on.  You weren't meant to carry it!

No comments:

Post a Comment