Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dawn



When I say, "Dawn", I immediately think of two ideas that have been life changing for me:  The first is a phrase I told myself for many years in order to get through one more night of loneliness and hurt.  That phrase is, “Joy comes in the morning.”  It comes from the Psalm of David Chapter 30 verse 5.  Just stop right now and take a moment to look up that entire chapter and read it..... 

The evenings can often bring arguments after the kids are asleep, loneliness if your spouse doesn’t come home early, or rejection if you don’t talk or touch when you go to bed.  Once you are divorced the emptiness can be overflowing, the nights can seem quiet for lack of stressful conversations, and the bed, well, if you’re lucky, a child or pet might curl up next to you.  Because of these struggles, I wanted to fill each day with joy because the dread of my night was coming.  The promise of Psalm 30 was my strength.  The second thought that comes to mind is the following poem which reminded me daily that I would learn....I would grow....and I would be o.k.  Since I wasn't happy where I was,  I was focusing on where I was going.  "With every goodbye you learn."

Comes The Dawn 

Author: Veronica A. Shoffstall


After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today,
Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans,
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong,
And you really do have worth.
And you learn and learn...
With every goodbye you learn.

2 comments:

  1. Gale, I have had this poem for many years ~ since college actually. I love this poem!!! I have never seen anyone else refer to It or publish it. Thanks for sharing it! It says so much!!!! faith. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. https://wordpress.com/post/seo901787584.wordpress.com/6

    ReplyDelete